As managers of subject areas the following are things to think about to ensure effective teaching and learning.
- How will you (as a manager) ensure curriculum coverage for your learners?
- How will you ensure that teachers are clear about the sequence of teaching in the subject and objectives of individual lessons?
- How will you provide guidance on choice of appropriate teaching and learning methods?
- How will you ensure that there is effective development in all current strategies including literacy, numeracy and technological skills?
- How will you establish and implement policies and practices for assessment, recording and reporting learners achievement including target setting?
- How will you set targets for a) learners and b) teachers in relation to standards of pupil achievement and quality of teaching?
- How will you evaluate the quality of teaching and then how would you use this good practice to improve teaching in your department?
- How will you establish a partnership with parents, community and businesses?