Anyone for a Taxi?
It’s time for some summertime fun with languages! Below our Communications Manager David Sorrentino has listed a few fun facts about languages and multilingualism.
Which ones did you know already? Do you know any other interesting facts you’d like to share?
- The distress code ‘Mayday’ comes from the French for help me, ‘M’Aide’.
- The United States does not have an official language.
- ‘Taxi’ is a word that has the same spelling in many languages, including English, German, French, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese and more.
- More people speak English in China than in the United States.
- For over 600 years England’s official language was French.
- The name “Canada” originates from an Indian word which means “village”.
- Europe is home to roughly 225 indigenous languages or around 3% of the world’s total.
- At least half of all the people on earth can speak two or more languages.
- The city of London is linguistically…
View original post 81 more words